What January Blues? 6 Steps to Beating the Blues.. by Candida Woolcott
Hello January Blues? Put your positive pants on!
Why do we do it to ourselves? The half empty boxes of treats sit sadly in the corner, the clink of the recycling boxes as the remains of the decadent Festive Season are dragged away! You had fun, you had a lot of fun but now it is time to step forward, breathe deeply and get stronger and wiser!
Call it the January Blues or Blahs or simply seasonal sadness. Around this time of year, we begin to feel our mood drastically sinking. We feel exhausted and sluggish, moping from on thing to the next. There is a psychological reason for this! The days get shorter and colder, therefore spending more time indoors and in turn become less active. Just to add to all of this, our bodies produce more Metalonin which makes you feel lethargic and sleepy.
We have eaten the demon sugary foods during the holidays which leads to a spike in glucose levels followed by a crash of exhaustion.
We have all heard the cliches: start the new year on the right food, begin as you mean to go on. I am brimming with positivity, hopeful enthusiasm and good intentions! The more I tell myself I can’t, the more I want to and this perceived willpower inspires comfort eating. Make the ability to enjoy results of the abstinence stronger than the momentary craving.
However, there are ways to lift your energy and mood. Here are my top tips for beating the Blahs!
1. Take a short walk each day or go to a yoga class can help. Workout DVDs are another great option. If you’re not sure what you like, try a variety of activities that appeal to you. Pay attention to which activities boost your mood and energy levels.
2. However much we crave starchy foods in the winter, protein is what your body requires. Protein doesn’t spike your sugar levels, it leaves you feeling satisfied, less irritable and sluggish than simple carbohydrates or sugars.
3. Sunshine! We require around 20 minutes of sunshine a day; this could be achieved by a walk in the winter sun, sitting by a sunny window or even a light box which produces artificial light.
4. Raise your feel-good hormones. Oxytocin, Seratonin and Dopamine are all happy hormones that will improve your mood. Give yourself a little pamper; this could be in the form of a fragrant bath, lighting candles or even having a good hug with a loved one.
5. Socialise – this is key! I know it’s cold out there and probably the last thing you want to do is get out of those cosy PJ’s but try to arrange regular contact with friends and family, this is good for your mental health!
6. Take up a new hobby! This could be anything from writing a journal, joining a gym, making jewellery, the important thing is that you have something to look forward to and concentrate on.
A final thought for you: This is the year you will be stronger, braver, kinder and unstoppable. This year you will be fierce!
Happy New You!
Candida J F Woolcott
** New Year New You Bundle **
Make 2017 your year to shine and transform yourself into the best version of you possible. To help you on your way we have created a kickstart 6 week bundle full of everything you need to hit the ground running and stride towards your weight loss target with ease. A lot can happen in 6 weeks, many of our customers have dropped 2 clothes sizes* in this time, start today and see what you can achieve!
This amazing bundle comes complete with:
– 180 TFR meals and snacks of your choice.
21 day journal to keep you on track every step of the way.
Cranberry crush water flavouring to help your water intake.
10 metabolism boosting Pineapple fat burners.
Ali Campbell Project New You (12 Online Coaching Modules)
£25 OFF voucher for your next order over £50
*Weight loss results may vary, this is not a guarantee.