How Do You Know When You Are In Ketosis?
The New You Plan is a Total Food Replacement Plan, which promotes fast, safe weight loss* via a process called ketosis. So how exactly do you know when your body is in this fat burning state? Here, our Customer Transformation Coach Candida looks at the symptoms of ketosis.
You have made that fantastic life changing decision to make a stance, to combat your weight issues and to change your mind and body to be the best you can possibly be.
The New You Plan is a TFR (Total Food Replacement) diet which will enable you to rapidly lose that unwanted weight. You may however be wondering how this incredible diet works so quickly? It’s all down to a lovely little friend who will make an appearance when you stick to the plan 100%… Mr Ketosis!
What is ketosis?
So what exactly is ketosis? I am not going to blind you with science you will be glad to know! Ketosis is a metabolic process. When the body does not have enough glucose for energy, it burns stored fats instead. This results in a build-up of acids called ketones within the body.
When we consume starchy or sugary foods these are broken down into simple sugars. We use glucose to meet everyday energy demands, otherwise, it is stored as glycogen in our liver and muscles.
When you start on a TFR plan, we begin to use up the stored glycogen. Once the glycogen stores have been depleted, the body then adopts an alternative strategy to meet our energy needs and begins to break down fat stores. Simples!
Symptoms of ketosis
Mr K is one awesome guy but how do you know when he arrives as you cannot physically see him? BUT… thankfully he does leave little signs that he is there! You may experience any of the following symptoms, some of which are amazing; some not so amazing! So here is a list of the good, the bad and the darn right ugly!
- Mental clarity – You can indeed see clearly now that you have eliminated all the toxins from your body.
- Appetite suppression – This is due to the increased protein in your TFR diet.
- Increased energy – Ketones are an extremely potent fuel source for the brain.
- Increased focus – Increased focus comes from eliminating carbs, which help control and stabilize blood sugar levels.
- A feeling of empowerment and control – This is a personal state of mind that being in ketosis can make you feel.
- Positive mental health – Being in control of your diet and rapid weight loss through ketosis can promote a positive mindset.
- Feeling amazing – Many slimmers say that when they enter ketosis they feel incredible.
The good news about these symptoms is that they are usually short term and pass quickly!
- Frequent urination – This is normal due to the amount of water you are drinking. If it becomes excessive, please seek medical advice.
- Digestive issues – Digestive issues such as constipation and diarrhoea are common side effects in the beginning as you are eliminating toxins from your body. It will pass.
- Short-term fatigue – This is a side-effect of switching to a ketogenic diet and perfectly normal. It too will pass.
- Dry mouth – This is due to the production of ketones. Drink water and it will subside.
- Grumpy – Initially you might feel a little out of sorts. Moving from your previous way of eating to a ketogenic diet is a massive detox. Happiness will resume!
- Occasionally hungry – this is normal. Keeping your water intake up will help with this.
The majority of these symptoms are rare and are short-term.
- Bad breath – A normal side effect produced by ketones in your body. Specifically, acetone. It will pass after some time on the diet. Not great for your social life but it is a positive sign!
- Insomnia – This effects a few people. Having a relaxing bath and a warm drink such as a New You shake before bed may help with this. This will pass.
- Feeling shaky and very cold – This is incredibly common when you are in a state of ketosis. For some it remains with them throughout their journey, while for others it does not last too long. Extra layers of clothes and warm socks will help.
- Excessive thirst – This is not a common side-effect. Keep your water levels up.
- Long-term fatigue – This is due to the lack of carbohydrates in your body and is rare.
- Brain fog – Once again, this is due to lack of carbohydrates and should subside.
So, there you have it! Now you are equipped to know if you are in ketosis or not. I would like to add that it is not worth your while or pennies buying ketosis urine dip sticks. This is due to the fact that whilst on a TFR diet, you are advised to drink a lot of water, hence diluting your urine. A true reading will not be given from the keto sticks.
If you are ever concerned about side effects which seem to be lingering such as excessive urination, please contact [email protected] who will guide you.
Start Your TFR Journey Today!
Getting started is the first step in your journey to a brand New You! To help you understand fully how our plan works, our Get Started page was designed specifically for people new to the plan.
Head over to our site where you’ll find tonnes of important information including how our plan works, the science behind it, loads of top tips, information on our meals, as well as real customer testimonials.
Click here to visit our Get Started page!