Frequently Asked Questions Friday with Suzanne and Lorna:
Do I need to speak to a Doctor before starting The New You Plan? | VLCD
So do I need to speak to my doctor before I start a VLCD?
Your doctor knows you best, they know your medical history and they know all the small things that may otherwise not be called into question. For the sake of keeping safe and having that peace of mind it is so important to get their input before you start!
Tips to Getting Started
[box type=”info” size=”large” style=”rounded” border=”full”]Total Food Replacement General Guidelines:
• Get your doctors approval and blood pressure checked before you start our VLCD.
• A check-up with your doctor every 28 days while on a Total Food Replacement plan is also recommended.
• You should only start a VLCD / Total Food Replacement if your BMI is 25 or more.
• It is also recommended that you should take at least a two week break from Total Food Replacement after 12 weeks.
• You should have NO medical contra-indications listed below.
• You should have at least 450 cals per day.[/box]
Are there any obvious reasons why I should
not proceed with a VLCD / TFR plan?
[box type=”info” size=”large” style=”rounded” border=”full”]• An eating disorder or taking anti-obesity drugs
• Arrhythmia, Bradycardia or Tachycaria, or taking (Digoxin) to treat heart rate irregularities.
• Convulsions or Epileptic seizures or taking anti-convulsant drugs
• A serious heart condition, heart disease, or suffered a heart attack.
• Severe psychiatric disorders including manic depression, (Bipolar disorder) Psychosis, Schizophrenia and or taking MORI and Lithium drugs.
• Recent Stroke or taking Anti-coagulants, Antithrombotics or Fibrolytics
• Total Lactose intolerance
• Type 1 Diabetes or taking insulin
• Severe Kidney or Liver disease
• High Blood Pressure (programme above 1200kcal only with Doctors approval and monitoring)
• Diabetes with Medication
• Gout (programme above 1200kcal only with Doctors approval and monitoring)
• Taking any prescribed medications (Doctors approval and monitoring required)
• Had any serious illness, injury, trauma or surgery within 3 months
• Had preventative Thrombosis medication in the last 6 months
• Had an Angina attack in the last 12 months
• Are about to undergo surgery
• Are Pregnant – Given birth in the last 3 months (or had a miscarriage 20+ weeks gestation)
• Breast feeding (baby’s sole source of nutrition)Pregnant / Breastfeeding or Women given birth within 3 months
• Children below 16 years
• Diabetics Type 1 or Diabetes Insipidus
• Within 3 months of Heart Attack, Operation, Serious Accident, Stroke
• BMI below 25
• Heart, Kidney, Liver Disease or Condition
• Porphyria (a rare genetic disease)
• Severe Depression
• Anorexia or Bulimia Nervosa[/box]
These conditions will mean that
you need medical monitoring:
[box type=”info” size=”large” style=”rounded”]• Thrombosis or medical for Thrombosis within the last 6 months,
• An Angina attack in the last 12 months,
• Any serious illness, injury, trauma and or surgery in the last 3 months
• Diabetes 2
Thank you again to Suzanne and Lorna for all of their help on our VLCD FAQ’s and please do leave a comment of support for them in the comments section below. Also if there is a question that you would like answered please feel to ask this in the comments section at the bottom of this blog.
[box type=”download” size=”large” style=”rounded” border=”full”]Leave question below[/box]